Google Ads is Google’s paid online marketing and advertising platform (or ecosystem). Using the platform will allow you to set up a dynamic mix of online ads aimed at specific segments of your target audience.
You can bid on relevant keywords or terms to increase your chances of serving your ads to the right customers at times when they are most engaged with your brand. You can manage your campaigns and create your ad content from one place while monitoring your performance with the site’s built-in analytics tools.
Why use Google Ads?
Google Ads are for businesses of all sizes with different budgets, advertising goals, and target audiences. This service offers many benefits to digital marketers:
It has a huge reach. These days, when consumers ask a question, their first port of call is Google. Your business can provide valuable solutions to some of these questions. When you advertise on Google Ads, relevant searchers are more likely to find you, click on your ads, and convert.
It is not complicated to use. Google Ads makes everything straightforward to understand
It helps build brand awareness by reinforcing your brand name and making it known to consumers, which helps in building trust.
It helps to manage multiple client accounts efficiently and in one place
This helps you put controls on your daily budget, so you don’t end up spending more money than you want to. You can decide how much you want to spend, and only pay if someone interacts with your ad.
Before you start creating your ads, it’s important to learn the basics of the platform. By learning the basic processes and functions of the site, you’ll have a better chance of choosing keywords, setting parameters, and creating content that resonates with your target audience, consistently earning a healthy return on investment (ROI) in the process.
Setting up the account
In most cases, it’s best to start with a manager account because it’s free and allows you to create multiple child accounts within it. Even if you only need one child account in the beginning, you may find that you need a second or third account. These can easily be added to a manager account.
To create a Google Ads Manager account:
- Go to this link: https://ads.google.com/home/tools/manager-accounts/
- Click Create Manager Account and follow the instructions
- Sign up using your Gmail address
- Note: A manager account cannot be set up with an email address already assigned to another Google Ads account. This must be an email address not associated with any Google Ads account. You must use a new email address to set up your manager account. All of your other Google Ads accounts can be linked to your manager account, not your email address.
- Add on additional child accounts as you need for your Google advertising efforts
Do’s and Don’ts when running your Google ads
Now that you know how to set up and run a Google Ads campaign, we’re going to look at some dos and don’ts to set you on the right path.
- Make sure your landing page is in sync with your ad and delivers on its promises
- Use a comprehensive negative keyword list when using generic tags
- Use geo-targeting where you can
- Use a key planning tool
- Test, measure, and optimize your efforts
- Track your conversions and use themed ad groups
- Choose broad and irrelevant keywords for your ad campaigns
- Try to outperform your competitors without a solid plan
- Send traffic to a generic or landing page instead of dedicated sales or landing pages
- Choose your keywords based on search volume only
- Write or create advertisements without a target consumer in mind